Tinder Statistics in 2023 (Latest User & Revenue Numbers)
Tinder is by far the most popular dating app in the world.
Today, Tinder has 71.1 million users worldwide, and in 2022, Tinder generated $1.79 billion in direct revenue.
- Tinder has 71.1 million users worldwide, with over 50% being Gen Z.
- In 2022, Tinder generated $1.79 billion in revenue, up 9% year over year.
- Tinder has 10.8 million paying users, with average revenue per payer of $13.75.
- The median match rate for women on Tinder is 36%, and for men, 1.8%.
- On average, it takes 57 matches for a meetup and over 285 matches for a relationship.
- About 76% of Tinder users are male and only 24% female, a 3:1 gender ratio.
- The average user checks Tinder 11 times a day, up to 90 minutes total.
- 27% of engaged couples meet on Tinder, while 39% of all relationships start online.
- 1 in 4 active Tinder users is either married or in a relationship.
1. Tinder has 71.1 million users worldwide, with over 50% being Gen Z.
According to the latest data (2022), Tinder is slowly losing its steady growth in its user base. (1)
Tinder statistics show that Tinder has 71.1 million users worldwide in 2022, a 6.7% decline from the previous year.
|Users||70.8 M||79.4 M||76.2 M||71.1 M|
Tinder global monthly active users (MAU) have been flat since 2019 with roughly the same 71 million members as in 2022, despite the 12.1% growth in 2020 due to the pandemic.
According to Statista Tinder app download statistics, Tinder is the most downloaded dating app worldwide, with 64 million downloads in 2022. (2)
|Tinder in U.S.||Users||Percentage|
|Daily active users (DAU)||24.5 M||34.5%|
|Monthly active users (MAU)||49.0 M||68.9%|
|Heavy users||13.4 M||18.9%|
|Light users||24.1 M||33.9%|
|Inactive users||22.0 M||31.0%|
Tinder usage statistics show that about 34.5% of Tinder U.S. users (24.5 million) are daily active users (DAU) and 68.9% of users (49 million) are monthly active users (MAU).
About 18.9% of Tinder’s U.S. user base (13.4 million) are heavy users, 33.9% (24.1 million) are light users, and 31% (22 million) are inactive users.
Over 50% of all Tinder members are Gen Z (ages 18-25).
According to Tinder user statistics (2023), over 50% of all Tinder members are aged 18-25 (Gen Z). (3)
This means over 36.5 million users between ages 18 and 25 use (Gen Z) Tinder globally.
|Ages 18-25 (Gen Z)||Percentage||Tinder Users|
|Gen Z in U.S.||16%||11.0 M|
|Global users||50%||35.6 M|
According to Tinder demographics statistics, Tinder has approximately 11 million Gen Z users in the U.S. (1)
About 16% of all unmarried 18-25-year-old Americans (Gen Z) use Tinder, which means the most popular dating app still has plenty of room to grow in its main markets.
2. In 2022, Tinder generated $1.79 billion in revenue, up 9% year over year.
According to Tinder revenue statistics, Tinder generated $1.79 billion in direct revenue in 2022, up 9% year over year. (4)
|Direct revenue||$1.15 B||$1.36 B||$1.65 B||$1.79 B|
|Match Group revenue||$2.05 B||$2.39 B||$2.98 B||$3.19 B|
|% of Match Group revenue||56%||57%||55%||56%|
*Direct revenue % change numbers are guided by the company.
Match Group, the owner of Tinder, generated $3.19 billion in total revenue in 2022, up 7% year over year.
Tinder’s direct revenue made up 56% of Match Group’s $3.19 billion revenue in 2022.
3. Tinder has 11.1 million paying users, with average revenue per payer of $13.75.
According to Tinder user base statistics, Tinder has 10.8 million paying members, paying, on average, $13.75 per month and $165 per year (2022). (4)
|Revenue Per Payer||Paying Members||% of Payers||Total Members|
|$13.75||10.8 million||15%||71.1 million|
Tinder has 71.1 million users worldwide (2022), of which only 15% are paying subscribers paying, on average, $13.75 per month.
|Paying members||8.9 M||10.6 M||10.8 M|
Tinder premium subscribers growth has been relatively flat in recent years.
In 2021, Tinder paying subscribers spiked to 10.6 million, a 17% increase from 2020.
In 2022, Tinder paying subscribers increased by only 3% to 10.8 million subscribers.
4. The median match rate for women on Tinder is 36%, and for men, 1.8%.
According to Swipestats Tinder match statistics, the median match rate for women on Tinder is 36%, and for men, 1.8%. (5)
Tinder swipe statistics suggest that although women swipe more than men overall, they are also way more selective compared to men.
|Daily matches||2.75 matches||1.1 matches|
|Matches from total swipes||1.8%||1%|
|Matches from right swipes||36%||1.8%|
The majority of women on Tinder swipe right, about 1 in 20 people (5%), while men swipe right every second person (53%).
The majority of women on Tinder swipe left 95% of people, while men swipe left 47% of people.
Despite the women’s high selectivity, female users have a significantly higher success rate than men.
The median female user receives about 2.75 Tinder matches per day, while the median male user receives 1.1 matches per day.
This means a woman would need to swipe right 3 people to get a match, while a man would need to swipe right over 50 people for a match.
5. On average, it takes 57 matches for a meetup and over 285 matches for a relationship.
According to Tinder success statistics published in the Journal of Evolutionary Psychological Science, it takes about 57 Tinder matches for a real-life meetup. (6)
|57 matches||285+ matches||1.8% match rate||36% match rate|
The match rate study found that a very large number of matches are required for a relatively small number of real-life meetups.
The small number of meetups, in turn, results in a very limited number of hookups or potential romantic relationships.
The matching data suggests that over 285 matches are needed for a sexual encounter or a romantic relationship.
6. About 76% of Tinder users are male and only 24% female, a 3:1 gender ratio.
According to App Ape Tinder gender statistics, 75.8% of U.S. Tinder users are male and only 24% are female. (7)
The average Tinder gender ratio is 3 males to every female.
|75.8%||24.2%||3 to 1|
A similar male-to-female ratio was also confirmed by Swipestats data. (5)
The male vs. female data suggests a deep imbalance in the user base of Tinder and results in a large number of males competing for a small number of females.
|Top 10%||5+ per day||7+ per day|
|Bottom 10%||1 per week||1 per day|
Women in the top 10% who receive the most matches typically see a minimum of 7 matches per day, while men in the top 10% see at least 5 matches per day.
Women in the bottom 10% who receive the least matches typically see 1 match per day, while men see about 1 match per week.
7. The average user checks Tinder 11 times a day, up to 90 minutes total.
According to Tinder usage statistics published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, the average user checks Tinder 11 times a day. (8)
User Per Day
Spent Per Day
|11 times||90 min||7.2 min||8.5 min|
The average user uses Tinder for up to 90 minutes total per day.
The Tinder usage data suggest that women spend about 8.5 minutes swiping during a single session, while men spend about 7.2 minutes.
8. 27% of engaged couples meet on Tinder, while 39% of all relationships start online.
According to Tinder dating statistics published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2019), about 39% of all straight relationships in the U.S. start online. (9)
|How Couples Meet||Percentage|
|In a bar/restaurant||27%|
|Through or as coworkers||11%|
About 39% of Americans meet online, 27% in a bar or a restaurant, 20% through friends, and 11% through or as coworkers.
Internet meeting has displaced roles that family and friends once played, bringing couples together.
|Engaged Couples Meet||Percentage|
According to The Knot Worldwide Tinder marriage statistics, about 27% of engaged couples met on Tinder, 23% on Bumble, and 21% on Hinge. (10)
|Engaged Couples||Percentage||Meet On|
Tinder is the most popular way to meet among engaged 18-24-year-olds (44%) and 25-29-year-olds (30%).
Bumble is the most popular way (22%) to meet among engaged couples ages 35+.
The engagement study also found that the majority of couples (70%) date for 2+ years before getting engaged and online dating continues to be the most popular way they meet.
9. 1 in 4 active Tinder users is either married or in a relationship.
According to Tinder relationships statistics published in the Journal of Computers in Human Behavior, 42% of active Tinder users in the U.S. are either married or in a relationship. (11)
About 18-25% of Tinder users worldwide are in a committed relationship while using Tinder.
The relationship data also found that over 50% of Tinder users who were in a relationship also had an offline encounter with other Tinder users.
This suggests that already committed Tinder users are also willing to act on their curiosity about other potential partners.
Related: Infidelity Statistics (Latest U.S. Cheating Data)
- Bloomberg. 2023. After All the Hookups, Tinder Wants to Redefine the Relationship. Link
- Statista. 2023. Tinder – Statistics & Facts. Link
- Tinder Pressroom. 2023. About Tinder. Link
- Match Group. 2023. Investor Relations. Link
- The Bold Italic. 2021. Why Do Women Have the Upper Hand on Tinder? Link
- Grøntvedt, T.V., Bendixen, M., Botnen, E.O. et al. Hook, Line and Sinker: Do Tinder Matches and Meet Ups Lead to One-Night Stands?. Evolutionary Psychological Science 6, 109–118 (2020). Link
- Statista. 2021. Distribution of Tinder monthly active users in the United States. Link
- Barrada, J.R.; Castro, Á. Tinder Users: Sociodemographic, Psychological, and Psychosexual Characteristics. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 8047. Link
- Michael J. Rosenfeld, Reuben J. Thomas, Sonia Hausen. 2019. Disintermediating your friends: How online dating in the United States displaces other ways of meeting. Link
- The Knot Worldwide. 2021. Outdoor Marriage Proposals Skyrocket, According to The Knot Jewelry & Engagement Study. Link
- Elisabeth Timmermans, Elien De Caluwé, Cassandra Alexopoulos. Why are you cheating on tinder? Exploring users’ motives and (dark) personality traits, Computers in Human Behavior, Volume 89, 2018, Pages 129-139, ISSN 0747-5632. Link